The ERCOFTAC Association was created as an International Association with Scientific Objectives according to Belgian law in 1988. The main aims of ERCOFTAC are:
- promote joint efforts of Research Institutes and Industries who are active in all aspects of Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, with the object of exchanging technical and scientific information concerning basic and applied research, and the development, validation and maintenance of numerical codes and data bases.
- promote industrial application of the research by means of new kinds of collaboration between Industry, Governments, Professional Societies and Research Institutes.
- promote Centres, called ERCOFTAC Pilot Centres, in several European countries to act as centers for collaboration, simulation and application of research.
- promote the establishment of an ERCOFTAC structure, composed of a network of regional units, composed of research groups and industry, under the form of PILOT CENTRES, involving scientists and engineers active in the field of flow, turbulence and combustion.
- establish and promote contacts with the International Community in the field of flow, turbulence and combustion.
- stimulate, through the creation of Special Interest Groups, well-coordinated research efforts on specific topics in flow, turbulence and combustion.
- stimulate the creation of advanced training activities in all fields related to flow, turbulence and combustion.