The European Community on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences (ECCOMAS) was founded in 1993. ECCOMAS is a scientific organization grouping together European associations with interests in the development and applications of computational methods in science and technology. In 2008 it could celebrate its 15th anniversary with the ECCOMAS Multidisciplinary Jubilee Symposium on New Computational Challenges in Materials, Structures and Fluids in Vienna.
In the meantime 23 European national and regional associations became members in ECCOMAS, some of them representing several national organizations. The Mission of ECCOMAS is to promote joint efforts of European universities, research institutes and industries which are active in the broader field of numerical methods and computer simulation in Engineering and Applied Sciences and to address critical societal and technological problems with particular emphasis on multidisciplinary applications.
ECCOMAS promotes joint efforts of European universities, research institutes and industries which are active in the broader field of Numerical Methods and Computer Simulations in Engineering and Applied Sciences (i.e. Computational: Solid and Structural Mechanics, Fluid Dynamics, Acoustics, Electromagnetics, Physics, Chemistry, Applied Mathematics, and Scientific Computing) hereinafter called “Fields of ECCOMAS” with the objective of:
- exchanging scientific and technical information concerning basic and applied research
- supporting the development of mathematical models, numerical and computer methods, simulations and numerical data bases
- promoting advanced research for industrial applications
- promoting European achievements in the fields of ECCOMAS on a worldwide scale
- supporting the cooperation on a European level of universities, research institutes, and industries engaged in the fields of ECCOMAS
- stimulating and promoting education in the fields of ECCOMAS
- acting as an advisor to the European Commission for identifying, coordinating and disseminating innovative research directions in the fields of ECCOMAS
- establishing advisory committees in strategic areas in the fields of ECCOMAS
- providing forums and meetings for the dissemination of knowledge.
ECCOMAS activities can be summarized in the organization of large-scale European congresses; support of regional conferences; endorse thematic conferences and workshops; promote young investigator conferences or courses and encourage the organization of open industrial days within its fields.